Friday, February 18, 2011

Woot...Gouf Custom's New Gatling Gun!

Who doesn't love Gatling Guns? The Gatling Gun was the main reasons I bought the Gouf Custom that I am currently working on and being so this gun needs to look awesome. So to say the least I started the Gatling Gun transformation today. I went out and bought some 5mm and 6mm aluminium rods today from my local hobby shop and starting forging new barrels because the stock plastic ones are kinda lame looking.


So this is what my desk looked like today; various drills and metal rods. took me a while to figure out exactly how much I needed to cut from the existing pieces to get it to work. To say the least, I cut quite a lot to get everything to fit right.


Started test fitting small pieces to get the size right... and to make sure the holes would be big enough to take on the metal shafts...(thats what she said)


Originally I was going to make new pieces that matched the pieces that were given but after fitting it all it wasn't solid enough and didn't feel uniform. So I decided just to make the barrels the full length of the gun. Lots of drilling and cutting later I was left with this...


I am actually quite pleased with the way this came out, the rods were the perfect width and really make this feel like more of a weapon than the plastic barrels.


Now all I need to do is find a chain to replace the dinky plastic one they give you in the kit. I spent the last few days solving an issue with the arms; being that the Gatling Gun is so big it weighs the arm down. My solution was to glue some small strips of styrene to create a notch that the arm joint can rest on and stay pointing forward, that way I won't get any arm drooping.

Well that's all I have today, I'm going to finish off the night by adding some screws to the shield just for a bit more detail. I'm still trying to figure out a color scheme to go with; I think I wanna try going over chrome silver with a clear smoke/black and see if I get a black titanium finish; at least for some of the inner frame parts.

1 comment:

  1. this is the same idea i had for mine im glad u did it now i know its gonna be sweet \m/

    ReplyDelete