Tuesday, March 8, 2011

News From a Distant Land

New York was a fun trip, it was great to hang out with my buddy Lou as I rarely get to see him because of our schedules. I woke at 7, was on the train to meet up with him by 10 and was in the city by 12. As we got off at Grand Central we decided a quick trip to MoMA was in order so we stopped there for a few hours and took in the beautiful collection of art that they have. My personal favorites will always be the more classical pieces from the Impressionistic era such as Cezanne, Van Gogh, Monet, Surat and of course some of the other big names such as Warhol, Dali Duchamp and Mondrian.


Van Gogh's Starry Night

Cezanne

Monet's Waterlilies

Absolutely a great way to spend the early afternoon; having gone to school for art education I got a chance to show off my teaching abilities to my friend and give him some deeper insight on some of the art and artists.

After MoMA we took the Green track onto Canal Street  to get some Dim Sum for lunch and then we headed to the main attraction, the Elizabeth Center Mall.

Elizabeth Center Mall: Google Maps

Thats how it looked on my iPhone and heres what the entrance looks like. Honestly its a bit hard to spot if you don't know what the entrance looks like.

Elizabeth Center Mall Store Front

Once inside there is a plethora of Chinese/Japaneses goods but the stuff I was looking for is on the lower level. Down the escalator and around the comer we went until we found the store...


Elizabeth Center Mall Model Shop

What you see there is a shot of the outside of the store; thats pretty much the width of the entire store. From what I've seen online the store looked much bigger than it actually was. Unfortunately the owner would not allow me to take pictures in the store so I took a quick look around and bought what I came for. For a small store he sure did have a bunch of kits packed in there; I saw most of the newer Perfect Grades as well as most of the newer Master Grade kits. He also had a handful of new SD kits, HG kits, Revoltech Figures, and the new Rodimus Prime Masterpiece Transformer. I didn't take as good of a look as I wanted being that the store was so small and there were so many people wanting to go in and out of it. I did however get what I came for and that is.....

Real Grade RX-78-2 Box

The Real Grade RX-78-2 Gundam. I've wanted this kit since building the newer Zaku II Real Grade and I could not pass up the chance to get it in person. That brings me to something I found surprising, the prices at this particular shop were not bad, I only paid a few dollars more than the Yen conversion. The kit retails for 2800 Yen which is about 34.00 USD and I paid 35 dollars! I was a happy camper to say the least.

After our adventure at the model shop in the Elizabeth Center Mall we took a run across the street to another Toy/Model/Card shop. Their prices were a bit more expensive yet they had a much larger selection of Gundam and other Model kits but since I had already gotten what I had came for, we just took a quick look and headed on our way.

After the shops we did some street haggling, grabbed some desert at a Chinese bakery and headed back to the station. Over all it was a great day in the city and I hope to do it again soon (most likely when I can get my hands on the Real Grade Strike Gundam.

As far as my Gundam progress goes I got the water slide decals for the PG Strike in the mail today from eBay so I may be working on that soon, maybe put up a tutorial on how I do that. I also started cleaning up the waist armor pieces of the PG Strike for paint so Ill be sure to take some pictures when I do that. Like I said the other day I finished the Rifle for the PG Strike so I will be painting that soon as well and I just finished modding the shield of the Gouf Custom too so thats just about ready to be painted too! Lots of stuff to paint very little time to actually do it all.

Strike Gundam's Beam Rifle

Had to fill in the seam lines on the gun which was kinda a pain but it came out looking good. Only thing I didn't like about this gun was the little pieces you put in the front below the barrel. It looked to be some sort of grenade with some great detail but once you put it in it doesn't come out. I almost broke it trying to get it back out. Oh well...

Gouf Custom's Shield

The Gatling Gun for the shield already has the metal barrels modded which I did a few weeks ago, all I did was drill out some holes to put some hex screws in the shield.

I'll be posting an unboxing of the Real Grade RX-78-2 soon so check back for updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment